Saturday, January 19, 2013

Kielbasa Sauerkraut Skillet [Recipe]

This has been a staple in my house for a few years! I got the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook two Christmases ago and this recipe comes from that. A variation of it can be found here but its not the same as in the cookbook and I've never made it this way so I can't attest to its yumminess at all. :) I usually serve it over white rice, but here is my most recent clean variation using cauliflower fried rice instead!

Ingredients

  • 2 lb Turkey Kielbasa (I use Wilshire Farms because it is clean...it can be found at Whole Foods)
  • 1, 15oz can of sauerkraut
  • 1 small red onion
  • 1T spicy brown mustard
  • 1t caraway seeds
  • 1 large head of cauliflower
  • onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper and any other spices to taste
  • 2T olive oil
Directions
  1. Cut kielbasa into small chunks, slice onion and place in skillet. Cook until onion is soft and kielbasa is browning.
  2. Add undrained sauerkraut, mustard, and caraway seeds, let simmer stirring occasionally.
  3. For the cauliflower fried rice, rice the cauliflower in a food processor.
  4. Heat the olive oil in a separate skillet and place the cauliflower, add the onion powder and other spices to taste and cook until the cauliflower begins to brown a little bit. 
  5. Serve the kielbasa and kraut over the cauliflower rice! Salt and pepper as needed!
Nutrition Breakdown
The recipe makes 4 servings of kielbasa and 2 servings of cauliflower fried rice.
The nutrition reflects one serving of each
Calories: 602 (kielbasa=377, "rice"=225)
Total Fat: 38g
Saturated: 7g
Polyunsaturated: 2g
Monounsaturated: 10g
Cholesterol: 120mg
Sodium: 2298mg
Potassium: 1560mg
Total Carbs: 34g
Dietary Fiber: 15g
Sugars: 15g
Protein: 42g
Vitamin A: 13%
Vitamin C: 356%
Calcium: 11%
Iron: 44%


No comments:

Post a Comment