Saturday, January 5, 2013

UPDATED Crock Pot Chicken Tacos [Recipe]

This is probably one of my absolute favorite recipes of all time. I adore Mexican food. Probably more so than Indian food (and that's saying something). And while this isn't some crazy authentic recipe, it is easy to throw together and it tastes amazing! It looks a hot mess, but it is oh so yummy! I found it courtesy of one of my favorite food bloggers The Girl Who Ate Everything and we have tweaked it and eaten it at least once per month for the past few years. It can be found here. Picture courtesy of her!


Ingredients:
  • 1 lb chicken breasts either frozen or thawed
  • 3 cups black beans with a little bit of the reserved liquid* (see prep note below)
  • 1 bag frozen corn
  • 1 jar of favorite salsa (I use medium Newman's Own because its clean)
  • 8 oz Greek yogurt (I use Fage)
Directions
  1. Place chicken in bottom of crock pot and dump everything else on top. Cook on Low for 4-5 hours.
  2. After its done cooking, remove chicken and shred it. Place it back in pot and add the yogurt and stir. Let sit for about 10 minutes.
  3. Serve over brown rice or in lettuce wraps (I'm currently going what I like to call paleo-lite so, no rice for me)
  4. Devour.
Oh, I'm getting hungry just thinking about these! Enjoy!

*Black Beans prep note:
So, I stopped using canned veggies for the most part because of the high sodium content and my desire to be as clean as possible. So I purchased a bag of dry Goya black beans instead and cooked them in my crock pot:

  1. Pour black beans into bottom of crock pot.
  2. Cover with water up to two inches about the beans.
  3. Cook on high for about 3 hours until tender. 
  4. One, 16 oz bag of dry beans yields 6 cups of wet beans. Use 3 cups and a bit of reserve liquid for this recipe.
Nutrition breakdown:

Makes about 6 servings (give or take)

Calories per serving: 310
Total Fat: 2g
Cholesterol: 62mg
Sodium: 480mg
Potassium: 120mg
Total Carbs: 46g
Dietary Fiber: 16g
Sugars: 6g
Protein: 40g
Vitamin A: 15%
Vitamin C: 5%
Calcium: 11%
Iron: 20%

No comments:

Post a Comment